A range of Documents, Archives and Miscellaneous Resources to Local and Family Historians on a wide range of subjects covering the North Warwickshire and West Leicestershire areas.
GENERAL INFORMATION. Scroll down for an alphabetical list.
Haunchwood House, Stockingford (demolished c. 1920) - temporary file
|The story of Haunchwood House to date (to be updated soon)|
|File Size:||1174 kb|
Nuneaton Hall, demolished 1780-1810?
The site of Nuneaton Hall which had formerly been the Habbit of Nuneaton Abbey. It was granted with the town and Abbey grounds to Sir Marmaduke Constable and descended through the lordship of the Manor to the Stratford family who were extremely wealthy land owners and were acquiring property right across North Warwickshire. They purchased Horestone Grange then Nuneaton Hall (which was used as a dower house for the family, and this was followed by Bretts Hall, Ansley Hall Blyth Hall at Shustoke and then Merevale Hall where their descendants the Stratford-Dugdales, still live today. Nuneaton Hall fell into dilapidation by the 18th century and is believed to have been demolished c. 1800. The exact date is not recorded although it is said to have been within the memory of old folks who lived in the town in the 1870's. The roadway known as Stratford Street was built on land called "Hall Gardens". No illustrations of the old property is known to exist so the location is only conjectural.
Sir Marmaduke Constable's residence from the Constable survey of 1543/4. Sir Marmaduke recorded all the property in the town whose freehold he was assigned by Henry VIII which had formerly belonged to the Nuneaton Abbey, and the premises they occupied. As you can see Sir Marmaduke occupied the Habbytt - or Nuneaton Hall - once the resident of the Abbott, or Prior of the Abbey, all within the outer precinct of the Abbey Church. (Ted Veasey)
Stockingford Colliery, known to generations of old colliers as "Drybread" pit.
THE NUNEATON DIARY Coming soon - The Nuneaton Diary kept by an old townsman - John Astley between the years 1810-1845 and serialised in the Nuneaton Observer in the 1870's. Full of town gossip from the early 19th century. Here is a page from the original document.
Baddesley Ensor and Baxterley
|Attleborough Residents buried in St. Nicholas Parish Church, Nuneaton 1813-1851.|
|File Size:||1360 kb|
|The Attleborough Walking Tour by the Nuneaton Local History Group|
|File Size:||4548 kb|
|Baddesley Colliery Pit Disaster List of Men Killed and Injured|
|File Size:||1721 kb|
|Bermuda to Paradise - a Nuneaton Local History Group Walking Tour.|
|File Size:||4383 kb|