WELCOME TO ATHERSTONE
St. Mary's Church Atherstone was a chapelry of Mancetter until 1825 when it became a separate parish in its own right. The chancel was built on the 12th century chapel of the alien Abbey of Bec. and parts of the building are believed to have beenl dated back to the 14th century. The nave and aisles were rebuilt in 1849 and 1888. The registers date from 1825.
The personality launches the football out of the upstairs window of the Blue Bell but I do not know who it is. Note the photographers perched precariously on the ledge on the right. Health and Safety experts would have kittens today if this was re-enacted. Nuneaton also used to have a similar football game but it was quelled in the 1880's when it got out of hand with scuffles, fights, bad language and damage to property. It looks like the Blue Bell Inn has taken measures to protect its windows. Atherstone still has its ball game.
Atherstone railway station was designed by John William Livock (1815-1883) who designed an entire suite of station buildings and crossing keeper's houses for the Trent Valley line. It is a magnificent survival. Seen here as newly restored. The station is served by hourly trains to London and Crewe on the West Coast main line. The station was dominated by the Atherstone grain silo. Constructed by the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries & Food it was erected during 1943-4 with a siding connection to the main line. It was shunted by a Planet 20hp petrol 4 wheel shunter (FH2895/1944) purchased new. Traffic was seasonal and the little shunter only saw spasmodic use. After the War the flour mill was taken over by E.W.Borrows (Silos) Ltd, and in the 60's it was owned by Kenneth Wilson (Grain) Ltd. in later years. By 1968 rail traffic had ceased and all grain was shipped by road. The track was lifted in July 1973. The silos remained in use for some years afterwards but were demolished later and the site cleared The little Planet shunter was despatched to Shackerstone on the Battlefield line near Market Bosworth for preservation in July 1973. (Peter Lee)